Monday, November 29, 2010

Niche Restaurants in NYC

Just a brief interruption to highlight this article about what makes dining in this city so great.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/nyregion/29onefood.html


In case you didn't feel like reading this (or can't, NYtimes can be funny about their content), it is about the singular dining fest that is cropping up in this city.  The ubiquitous burger places.  A place with 20 varieties on Mac and Cheese.  The meatball shop---incidentally is on my list for must eats in the next couple of months. 

"What they sell is usually made well, often in several different ways, with top-notch components and at least a side dish or two. But the bill of fare is decidedly limited, if not downright obsessive. Take it or leave it.
Many New Yorkers are taking it."

If I want a place with a lot of choice because I don't know what I want, there are still many to find.  But if I want perfect dumplings, or mouth watering maduros, or 3 varieties of meatballs, I'm heading to specialty restaurants. 

And the best part?  In most cases. these places are gloriously affordable.

No comments:

Post a Comment