Thursday, November 4, 2010

Forlini's Restaurant

Forlini's restaurant, Chinatown

Menu, sorry no website that I can see :)
http://www.menupix.com/menudirectory/menu.php?id=301201

From Tripadvisor.com


93 Baxter St
New York, NY 10013

Yelp Reviews










I couple of posts back, I said I would especially recommend the exemplary Italian restaurants to visit in Little Italy.  Well, technically this restaurant is in Chinatown, but I lump this into that category since it is so close by.  I think I love this place.  If only I lived closer, I would consider this a hometown, go-here-often kind of place.  As I read some of the reviews, I have to agree that this place is almost like stepping back into time a bit, an old school Italian joint.

So me and my friends (this is the same day as from the Ferrara review) were kind of undecided about dinner.  We were in Chinatown and the obvious choice would of course be dim sum, but dim sum to me is always a kind of lunch outing, and besides we couldn't get a feel for which one would be excellent and vegetarian friendly for the boyfriend.  So there we were walking along, talking, and waiting to hear back from another friend if she would be joining us. We walked by here, took a look at the menu and decided this will be dinner tonight.

Now we would have sat in the formal dining area if we had our full party.  Instead we went to the back room to sit at the bar (which also had some tables and booths) while waiting for our friend.  2 others were also at the bar, separate, both chatting with the bartender and occasionally watching the Sunday football game on the tv.  We ordered beers and continued talking.  Both the other people had ordered food, so they got breadsticks.  Krystle and I looked over, looked at each other and said "that looks good!"  The guy who had it overheard us and was all, "here take it, I don't want it."  We laughed and said thank you because indeed we were hungry.  After about 5 minutes, the bartender came out with another set of breadsticks for us.  Really the whole thing was really cute.

So for the next half hour or so was spent chatting with each other, the bartender, watching the game, chatting with the manager when he came by.  Right before our party was complete, we decided, screw the front room, we'll grab a table here and eat where we were.  Because our party was kind of large, the only table that could accommodate us abutted the door leading outside, so the manager kindly locked the door so everyone had to enter through the other entrance.  That is some excellent service.

Now to the food! I believe the prices were reasonable so I opted for something I never tried before.  I had the Forlini's diced pork chop with a side of spaghetti and marinara.  The dish consisted of bite sized pork chop pieces, roasted potato cubes, green peppers, onions and cherry tomatoes.  It was large and fantastic and something I would want to cook for myself someday.  My friends were also pleased with their choices (at least I believe so, haha).

So with the atmosphere and the food and the people, I highly recommend this place and I know I will be returning!

No comments:

Post a Comment