Monday, March 14, 2011

Vanessa's Dumpling

Vanessa's Dumpling, Union Square/East Village


220 E 14th St
New York, NY 10003

Yelp Review


from jaunted.com




A wonderful cheap and tasty dumplings experience.  After checking my trusty blackberry, I came by one day, starving and wanting a quick lunch before heading home.  The dumplings at my local chinese delivery spots have been such a disappointment, so I had been craving restaurant quality ones for weeks.  It's not the best here, but it certainly does the trick.  Plus, I have been back at least 3 or 4 times, and will continue to do so whenever I'm in the Union Square vicinity and need a quick bite.


This is primarily a Japanese restaurant that has some other choices.  More on that in a second.  The dumplings are varieties of pork, chicken, shrimp and vegetarian, either fried or steamed, placed solo on a dish or in a soup.  For a basic 6-8 set of dumplings (and also depending on the time of day), it will only cost 2 to 6 dollars per plate.  My favorite is the pork and chives, fried.  Personally, with a coke, this meal is sufficiently keeps me sated.  But then I look around and see that sometimes people get the sesame pancake sandwiches to go along with their meal.  The last time I came in along with my boyfriend, we each got our own set of dumplings and a sandwich.  The roast pork sandwich I got was so tasty.  It's only kind of like a pancake, a deepfried dough of awesome filled to the brim with the roast pork (no skimping!).  David got the vegetarian kind, and it was filled with lettuce type leafy things and carrots.  He enjoyed his as well.  But it really is such a large meal, I had to take dumplings home! David just ordered more for him to take home as a midnight snack as well.


They also have teriyakis and sushi (although I believe the sushi is not made on site).  But I think I will stick with the dumplings.  And trying to get a table.

No comments:

Post a Comment