Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Fortune House

Fortune House, Brooklyn Heights

82 Henry St
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Yelp Reviews

From Brownstoner.com


(Sorry for so long between postings, I was having issues accessing blogger during "convenient to me" times.  I have plenty of god restaurants to talk about!)

This is one of those neighborhood joints that I wish we lived closer to.  Standard Chinese food done well, with a good atmosphere, large dining area and fast service.  It was  so much better than the sorry excuse for takeout in our general vicinity.

David and I were seeing the movie, Black Swan, that night and decided to wing it (hahahahah, HA!) for dinner that night.  Walking only down the block, we passed some bars (one of which we did stop in later for a drink) and then Fortune House came to view.  Like I said, it had a large dining area, with some beautiful decorations.  A few diners, so no wait.  We ordered vegetable dumplings for starters.  I had asked what was better, steamed or fried.  Either the girl didn't understand the question (really?) or she didn't want to state an opinion (likely).  So I ordered fried, which was only okay.  The sauces that came with it were standard but tasty. 

For dinner, I had the chicken and eggplant.  Delicious.  You would be surprised how easy it is for people to mess up eggplant (hell when I  cook eggplant, I learned right quick after my first disaster), but plenty of chinese restaurants make it pretty subpar.  This one was awesome.  The right texture and enough sauce to be good but soupy.  David's tofu came out well, except they didn't give him any vegetables, so it turned out to be a big bowl of tofu in  a szechuan type sauce.  If there was more veggies, I beleive it could have been improved.

Oh and you had to ask for chopsticks.

But all in all, I would come here again, if we were going to catch a movie in that neighborhood

No comments:

Post a Comment