Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Shake Shack

Shake Shack

 http://shakeshacknyc.com/

Multiple locations, but I went to the one on the Upper East Side and the original location in Madison Square Park in the Flatiron District


http://www.yelp.com/biz/shake-shack-new-york-2


From jerryzeinfeld.com
From: Chester Higgins Jr./The New York Times  





























The infamous Shake Shack.  The one with the huge lines and the huge following in New York City.  I have never before stood in line for a burger.  But I will for this one.

I've only had the burgers and probably should have waited until I had a shake to write a review, but I don't drink cold ice creamy/custardy drinks if the weather isn't warm.  I look forward to trying a shake in the Spring.

My friend Bre and I decided to check it out when she came to visit me one October afternoon.  We both heard of it and decided, why not?  This was the one on the Upper East Side, in quite a nice part of the neighborhood.  There was outdoor and indoor seating and we prayed for the indoor, since it was a bit on the chilly side.  The line wasn't too daunting and we were inside maybe after 15 minutes.  We even scored indoor seats amazingly enough.  I had the double shackburger and Bre had the single one, along with an order of cheese fries.  I believe she might have had the chocolate.  It took awhile for the food to come, maybe things are made to order, or the sheer amount of people, but yes it is worth the wait.

My burger was pretty excellent.  It looks as nicely presented as in pictures (unlike damn near all other fast food burger places).  The beef had a really good flavor,  slightly salty, and tasty mayo-y sauce (the Shake Sauce).  The cheese fries I stole off of Bre's plate were also pretty good, not the best cheese fries I have had but not terrible either. 

The second time I went was after a day of wandering about on a Saturday and I was starving because I skipped lunch.  I was close to Union Square and thought of picking something up there, but I remembered I was also really close to Madison Square Park, home of the original Shack.  It is an all outdoor place (pictured above), which I'm sure is great when it's warm, but it was November and I was freezing.  Thankfully in winter, tables are under these awnings that have heaters.  And the line wasn't ridiculous because it was just too cold.  I had another burger and fries.  As it turns out, I prefer the fries without cheese.

Apparently there's a website a guy made about deconstructing the Shack burger and making it himself at home.  http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/10/the-burger-lab-the-fake-shack-how-to-make-shake-shack-burger.html
Not something I would attempt myself, but it is a most interesting undertaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment