Monday, August 8, 2011

Liquid Oz

Liquid Oz, Bedford-Stuyvesant

302 Malcolm X Blvd
Brooklyn, NY 11233

http://www.liquid-oz.com/default.html

Yelp review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/liquid-oz-brooklyn


I'm skipping around a bit, there are still plenty of places I have not written up for my food diary just yet.  But this little place was pretty exceptional given its surroundings, so I have to preserve this somewhere for when I return.

So I spent this past Sunday afternoon, getting my hair done in Bed-Stuy, a salon I do not typically go, but they do such a good job I should go more often.  So as usual, it took forever and I was absolutely starving when I left around 3.  There's not too much to eat outside of shady bodegas at which I was very unsure of the food quality.  How about grading those NY Department of Health?  I walked into one soul food restaurant, but I left after quickly checking the menu.  I wanted something I can eat easily as I waited for the bus home.  As I near the bus stop I almost pass by this cute little coffeehouse that had a tripod sign announcing their specials.  As I'm inspecting the sign, I figure since I am more accustomed to seeing these signs in all the more gentrified spots in NYC, it's a mighty fine omen I should eat here. 

Some lament the gentrification of Bed-Stuy and the culture that might be lost.  I agree, but I also contend that when I am walking along and see blight after blight and then come across a very cute, small cafe, with other African American hipster types tapping away at laptops, artsy paintings on the wall and a tabletop filled with glorious pastries and coffeemachines all I can think is that Bed-Stuy needs more of this.  And kudos if black owned.

Anyway. The muffins, and cakes and granola and coffee are standard fare here. As good as those looked, I was really after the special of the day, which happened to be Chicken Salad.  I requested it on a croissant and to go along with a large sweetened ice tea.   The server was super sweet and made sure to get exactly what I ordered as simple as it was.  As I sat, I inspected the place a bit more.  Only like 4 tables, small seats, Wi-fi as the tapping on laptops indicated and soft Top40 music in the air. I also notice this place has only been open since 2010.  I hope they do well.

After I paid up ($8), I walked to the bus stop and ate there as I waited.  The sandwich was fantastic.  The croissant which likely has been out since the morning was still really soft and flaky.  The chicken salad had the right proportion of chicken to mayo and had cranberry's cut in here and there.  The tea was ice cold and sweetened just enough (I hate over or under sweetened teas.... I can be so picky I rarely drink sweet tea at all).  If the bus hadn't just pulled up I would have dug my fingers into the bag to eat more of the fallen chicken.

Now I have really good incentive to get my hair done at this particular salon just so I can pick up food here. Sure beats the hell out of a icky bodega.

No comments:

Post a Comment